Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Hidden treasure

I love old houses and cool architecture. It kills me to see all the old, once gorgeous homes in Detroit that have been neglected, abandoned or burnt to ashes.

My wife and I used to drive around to some of the really cool neighborhoods and look at places that we'd love to live in, provided we had a good alarm system, a pit bull and plenty of ammo.

Every now and then I see a place that really gets my attention, as happened last week. To see what I found, click on the link to Google Maps and enter the intersection I have listed below. Then go to street view and take a good look.

http://maps.google.com

Grand River Ave & Rosa Parks Blvd, Detroit, MI 48208

Is that place cool or what?

Here's my question. There’s no business signage anywhere. What is that place? Is it still a home?

4 comments:

Blonde Goddess said...

It looks pretty big to me.
Unless I'm looking at the wrong house...
There is a house that looks something like that house in Kentucky and it's a private school for girls...no signs...nothing at all to indicate it's even occupied.

Kathleen said...

Holy crap, that is a beautiful place. No clue what it is. Have you driven through the Boston-Edison district? A friend's boss lives in the house kitty-corner from the Cathedral and it's just an amazing house. My 1100 sq ft apt. could fit in one room!

Jorge said...

Kathleen,

Welcome back. I hope you had a good trip.

Yes, we've been through that area a bunch of times.

In fact, go out to (I think) the realestate one website and search on bank owned property in Detroit between $100K and $200K.

There are a couple of Boston Edison houses out there for under $200K and they're gorgeous.

I know you're a confirmed apartment dweller, but if you change your mind, now is the time to do it.

Oh, to be in my mid to late 20's again. You could get such an awsome house for so little money.

Kathleen said...

Thanks, I'd say it's good to be home (which it mostly is), but this weather is sucking canal water.

Working for an auto company, I prefer not to put myself in a position of losing my job and my house within months of each other. Besides, I really do love my apt. Watch for Smoking Fish pics, soon. Once my brother sends them to me.