Monday, October 6, 2008

My Green Mile

I was supposed to have a meeting with my boss this morning. He had to reschedule (I wasn’t surprised, he’s a great boss but has time management issues) to Wednesday.

When we finally do meet he’s going to put me on a Performance Improvement Plan (PIP). I’m going on because my sales have been poor lately. It’s no surprise and it’s happened before, but it still sucks.

PIP used to be worse in the old days because it would cost you stock options and limit your ability to take time off. Both of those things are gone now, so the only downside is the prospect of getting fired.

And don’t think it doesn’t happen. There have been a dozen people or more that I’ve seen it happen to. I was almost one of them in July of 2007. I was within 8 hours of getting fired and got lucky at the last minute.

This month I get the verbal warning. In November I go on written. Technically if they wanted to get rid of me my last day could be November 28th. I don’t think it will happen, but it’s possible.

I have a countdown going in my head. 53 more working days as of today. I should be able to last until then.

I plan to give notice on December 8th anyway so if they fire me I can get a month off with my vacation pay and a month of unemployment. If they don’t I’ll get paid through the 19th and my vacation pay (close to 4 weeks). Either way I won’t be here in January.

My boss once mentioned that people don’t quit companies, they quit managers. I fully understand that, but I don’t feel like I’m doing that. If I was still working for the guy I was when I made the decision to return to school I think I would. But I will make it a point to thank this boss for everything, assure him that there are no hard feelings and wish him success with complete sincerity.

One of the things I feel bad about is quitting on him. Like I said he’s a good guy and I really believe that he’s interested in my success. Last week I accepted his invitation to his Christmas party (the managers here are encouraged to host parties for their teams in their own homes). The party is the 12th. So that Monday I quit, Friday I go to his party and spend the next week just getting things ready for my departure. Is attending the party a way to say thanks or is it a kick in the teeth? How do you see it?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Let me get this straight... you are in sales.. in Michigan? With the way their economy is going, you deserve a medal, not a pinkslip. I am truly sorry to hear that things aren't going well.

I wouldn't think the party is a bad idea. Play it by ear. If he seems really upset or defensive when you put your notice in, then bail. If not, I think it is a nice way to show that you don't have any hard feelings.

Jorge said...

I had the meeting today and as expected I’m on verbal. The next step is written and then final written and then I’m out. So no matter what happens I won’t get fired in 2008.

Honestly, it was a really good meeting. He told me he wants to keep me and will fight with director (who wants everyone who’s underperforming gone). He told me he thinks I can be successful and replacing me with someone inexperienced to handle the same accounts makes no sense. It just creates a cycle of hiring and firing.

Early this year he challenged me to be a leader on the team and he feels that I’ve stepped up. He comes to me to mentor and teach new or newer reps and lately I;ve been his go to person for accounts that are pissed at their current reps. I’ve picked up a couple of those lately.

He wants me to do some things as far as activity and documentation, but nothing unreasonable. Doing what he asks helps him fight the director and keep me around. I fully intend to do as he asks.

But like I said, it’s going to kill me to have to give him my notice. How do you quit on a guy like that?

Kathleen said...

I think Alex has good advice. Play the party by ear. If you give notice and he still wants you to be there, I'm thinking he'll say so, and I trust you could tell the difference between politeness and genuineness.

And that statement about not quitting companies, but quitting managers isn't completely true. My job in SF I kept for as long as I did because I loved my boss. I ultimately left because I hated that company and wanted to move home (technically, I could have moved to the same company here). A year or so ago, I was talking to my old boss, and told him that he was the only good thing about that company. He was shocked to hear it.