Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Never a Dull Moment

I have a sore throat. Yesterday I had a fever to go along with it, but that seems to have passed. Mona wasn’t well either.

We decided to hit the sack at about 9 PM. After some tossing, a few drinks of water to wet the sore throat and then some turning we drifted off somewhere around 10.

At 2:30 it all went to hell.

Mona and I were awakened by lots of sirens in the back yard. I thought it was the bank alarm.

Mona looked out the back window while I looked out front. Police cruisers were whipping down the street and stopping 3 or 4 doors up. Then a couple of cops came running by. Then another.

All the time- Sirens.

Mona said someone ran through the neighbor’s yard to the north.

I turned on the exterior lights and heard the police yelling. The only word I heard clearly was a compound word that started with mother.

I decided to stay inside and wait until it was light to see what had happened.

After about 45 minutes or so it was all over. Mona went back to sleep but I couldn’t. So I watched TV until it was time to get going for the day.

Once it was light out I went out and reconstructed the crime scene. Below is a satellite picture of my house (with the little A). The top of the photo is North.


It looked like the Police chased someone who tried to turn into the eastbound side street. He didn’t make it. Judging by the oil streaks and bits of engine left this morning he hit the northeast curb at a 45 degree angle, curved a bit, went over the first parking island and came to a complete stop when he hit the southwest corner of my fence. He bent the chain link post and crushed one of the 4x4 posts on the privacy fence. Then a little further north the privacy fence was broken in a bit, I’m guessing from being climbed over.

In the back yard our one remaining garden bed had the copper tubing that the tomatoes climb up crushed, probably from being landed on. Our back gate was left open.

I have some estimators coming out to look at the fence and the insurance company has been notified.

I know that people have come over the fence after robbing the bank, but this is the first crash. Interstingly enough, I've talked with the neighbors in both houses south of me and they both missed the whole thing. Both have dogs who also missed it. It's a good thing I have Mona, a damaged fence and a police report to prove I was telling the truth.

This is my second experience with a police chase. My first was riding along with a friend who is a cop.

How about you?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow - sounds like you had an exciting night!

My only experience with a police chance was at Wal-mart - Tim and I witnessed a shop-lifter making a break for it. And that guy was fast! He got all the way out of the parking lot and across the freeway before they got him.

When I was an undergrad my boyfriend lived in a house off the main strip where the police would always lay in wait for the drunk drivers, so on the weekends we would sit on the front porch and watch various people getting pulled over right in front of his house. Then we would taunt them (the drunks, not the cops). It was always a good time.

Kathleen said...

Holy crap, exciting goings-ons in your neighborhood. The extent of mine is the stupid street is still completely torn up. I was gone for two weeks and it looks like they did freaking nothing.

No police chases for me. I'm a staid, sensible woman. ;-)

When and where will we be meeting up for dinner?