Tuesday, December 9, 2008

News Notes

This will be a quick one.

Mona did not get the job. We knew going in that she was an underdog, mostly because she just got past her 6 month anniversary. The person who did get hired has been there a few years and had been a supervisor for a time before taking a step down.

When you have an experienced candidate like that it's hard to reasonably promote the newbie, and Mona understands that. But we think that she did a good job with the interview and and got a little more visibility in the department, so we're not too dissapointed.

As soon as she called and told me I pulled Ajax aside and give him my notice. His first question: "Was it something I did?" We had a talk and I told him the whole story and that I knew this was coming for 2 years. And I also told him that I really felt bad about having to quit on him especially. His second question was "Are you still coming to my Christmas party?" How can you not like a guy like that?

Then he told me that he's concerned about how he'll do in the future too. For the last 2 years as a manager he as been at 100% or better in terms of his quotas and targets. This year he's worked harder and is at 78%. Then he told me in confidence that he applied for a recently announced buyout. He knows that Napoloeon dislikes him too (they're opposites in almost every way imaginable) but even so Nappie convinced him to withdraw his application.

But now Ajax is going back to school for a Masters in something that he really likes with an eye on doing something that he's passionate about long term. And I really hope he does it.

He asked me to try and stay focused, get my loose ends tied up and wished me luck.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is such a relief that Ajax took it well, huh? I am glad for you that it is finally over.

And that is too bad about Mona, but you never know unless you try, and that sort of thing really shows initiative.

Evil Twin's Wife said...

I'm sorry to hear about Mona, but it does show initiative on her part. Good luck with your next, new phase in life. It sounds exciting and I think you'll do great!

Jorge said...

I agree. For Mona it was about getting some visibility and expressing her desire to move up.

The selectee had so much time and, more importantly, experience in that exact job and the one above it, that hiring Mona would have not made the most sense.

And if you're going to not get a job, that's the way you want it to happen.

But I think it positions her well within the company.

And yes, I was glad that Ajax took it well. I rather expected that he would. I felt bad when he asked if it was his fault.

But the fact that he is looking to leave too makes me fell a heck of a lot better.

Had he taken the buy out and I stayed I would have been absolutely horrified.

Now if only I could stay motivated.

Seven more working days....

Kathleen said...

Bummer about Mona, even if we understand...good on Ajax...hard to leave good bosses.

Kathleen said...

Okay, that's twice...why do you keep spelling FEEL as FELL? You did it at Jeff's last Friday, as well.