Tuesday, December 23, 2008

One More Try

I already posted a favorite fish recipe and didn’t get a single response, but I still haven’t learned my lesson.

Yesterday I got a text from my sister in law telling me that she and a cousin had dcided that in addition to the other food we're taking to Mona's family Christmas that I should also bring this.

This is one that I adapted from a cookbook I found, and so of all the food I’ve ever served has to be the biggest hit. Basically I substituted smoked salmon for poached and shallots for green onion. I think mine has a much fuller flavor. So here goes.

Smoked Salmon Pate’

2 Packages of cream cheese
6-8 Oz smoked salmon
2 to 3 medium shallots
3 Cloves of Garlic
½ cup Fresh Parsley
¼ stick of butter
1 Tsp dried Thyme
½ Tsp salt
½ Tsp coarse ground black pepper

Set cream cheese and butter out to soften.

The rest can be done by hand, but if you’ve got the appliances, I say use ‘em.

In a food processor finely chop the parsley, then peel shallots and garlic and chop until diced. (Warning, too much chopping will liquefy the shallots, so be careful).

Add Cream cheese, butter, parsley, shallots, salt, pepper and Thyme to mixing bowl and mix slow to medium to combine.

Remove any skin and bone from the smoked salmon, cut into one inch cubes and place evenly in the food processor. Chop until fine, again being careful not to do it too much. Too little is OK, the mixer is going to help out in a second.

Fold the salmon into the mixer slowly. Once everything is combined mix on high until smooth and a little fluffy.

Chill for 10 minutes (or more) and serve with water crackers.

For larger amounts use the following ratios of Cream Cheese to Salmon:

3 packs to 12 Oz
4 packs to 16 Oz
5 packs to 20 Oz

Everything else increases by about a third, but do it to taste and trust your judgment.

Try this one at your next get together. I swear it’s a crowd pleaser.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That sounds really great, Jorge! I love salmon. In fact, I am going to copy that down and put it in my personal recipe book.

Did I ever tell you about my anal-retentive recipe book? I retype recipes that I like (complete with my modifications) and I even scan in the pictures from the magazines. Every month I get Martha Stewart Living, Martha Stewart Food, Bon Appetit, and Real Simple, and I try out the recipes that look good and if the family likes it I put it in.

So I always like to get nre recipes - thanks for posting!!!!

Evil Twin's Wife said...

It sounds pretty good, although I'm not much a fishy type person. I bet the Evil Twin's family would love it!

Merry Christmas!