Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Let's see where this gets me

I still owe you more stories of dealing with mental patients. I'll get to them, I promise.

I have something else on my mind at the moment.

You might remember me asking a while ago where I should spend some gift cards I had won. Mona and I decided to buy a new PC from Dell, get a 40" LCD TV as a monitor and get a couple of recliners for the repainted and newly cleaned out office.

We've had the TV and PC for a while, but the recliners are an issue. We're sitting in an old office chair and a lawn chair right now. I expressed my frustration with Macys in the following letter to each member of their Board of Directors, CEO, CFO and various VPs.

To Whom It May Concern:

On July 22nd I ordered 2 Lane recliners from the Macy's store at Westland Mall in Westland, Michigan.

The recliners were paid for with gift cards which were awarded to me by my employer (a Fortune 60 company) for outstanding sales performance.

At the time of order, I chose to pick up the recliners in order to a) avoid the $100 delivery fee, b) not miss a day of work and c) pick up the chairs at my convenience. There was a $15 charge for pick up, which I agreed to.

I was told to expect the furniture to arrive in about 10 days. I waited 14 days and finally called to request an update on the status of my order. I was told that the distribution center in Chicago shipped half of my order and that I could expect the other half to arrive the following week.

When I contacted the pick up location at Macy's Northland in Southfield, Michigan I was advised that customer pick up was no longer an option and the second recliner would not be available for pick up.

In fact, the first recliner needed to be returned to the distribution center and reshipped to me directly. There would be another week's delay and an additional delivery fee.

In contacting customer service I spoke to a supervisor and while she was professional, polite and sympathetic, she was unable to assist me. She did agree to credit the delivery fee, but only after I receive the furniture.

This is not acceptable to me. I have been a professional business to business sales representative in a quota bearing environment for more than 15 years. I know what it takes to make a sale and to retain my customers business in the following months and years.

Macy's has not lived up to what I consider the minimum standard of customer service.

I have declined to pay any additional fees and am attempting to secure a refund of my money.

I believe I have a contract with Macy's and your organizations decision to make unannounced changes leading to additional fees is at best, a poor business practice.

The inability of the company to set proper expectations at the time of sale, provide post-sale communication and meet the terms of your agreements is highly disappointing.

Macy's inability to resolve this issue quickly and to my satisfaction will ensure I consider other retailers in the future.

Should you have any questions please feel free to contact me at any time.


Love,

Jorge

(I didn't really sign it like that)

So what do you think will happen?

3 comments:

Evil Twin's Wife said...

Well, I hope Macy's has a person hand deliver your chairs, along with a pizza or two, waives the delivery charges all together and perhaps offer you some sort of future discount or gift card. That's the only way I'd be happy after all that bullcr*p.

Anonymous said...

Abso-mother-effin'-lutely NOTHIN'! Being perhaps the most cynical person on the face of the earth, I just have bad feelings about all this. There are too many changes in policy and procedure, as well as too many layers of beaurocracy preventing anything but a negative outcome to this one. "A $15 charge for pick-up"? WTF! It sounds like YOU'RE being penalized for preventing them from earning an extra $100. And now, you say that that's not even an option! Holy Crap! Bend over, Jorge! It's commin'!

Kathleen said...

Um, they charge extra for you to pick it up yourself??? Most places charge delivery fees. I hope you get your money back.