Thursday, February 12, 2009

Not for the weak stomached

Dear lord what have I gotten myself into? I can't give too much detail but I am so grossed out from this morning at the hospital.

It all started when a patient told me to "put some gloves on".

I had to help a 400 pound guy pee so we could measure what was coming out.

He held up part of his belly while I held up his belly's belly which had to weigh at least 20 lbs, was purple, dimpled and looked and felt like a large brick (yes it was that solid) inside a sock made out of purple turkey skin with one hand while using the other to hold a piss jug up to his wangular area.

As if that wasn't bad enough right after I poured his piss in the toilet he let go with a silent fart that absolutely blindsided me.

I have a kid and large dogs and it wasn't my first time in a hospital. Normally I can get past funky smells. But something about this one really got to me.

I actually started to heave and for a moment thought I was going to puke in his sink.

I managed not to and then went to a staff bathroom to sort myself out.

I really had to think about whether or not I wanted to be in this program.

What a day.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, Jorge! Mr. Wally is a nursing program as well. He already has his LPN. But the stories he has told... I do believe your stomach strengthens and your sense of smell deadens after awhile! I hope that happens sooner or later for you!

Evil Twin's Wife said...

ROFL! Sorry, but that just killed me! I couldn't take it myself.

Anonymous said...

How do you think he must have felt. When you enter the hospital, check your dignity at the door!

Kathleen said...

Ah yes, one of the many reasons I am not a nurse.

You are a better man than I am, dear Jorge. ;-)