Friday, January 11, 2008

Whereabouts, Whatabouts and Whyabouts (and many parenthetical references).

You may have noticed that I haven’t posted in a while. Some of you (and you know who you are) have even asked where I’ve been and sent along good wishes. Thank you, I appreciate them all.

The good news is that from a health and happiness standpoint all is well. There is no actual bad news. “Great!” you say. “So what’s up? Where have you been?” For those of you with enquiring minds that want to know, I will tell you. As usual it’s a long story. Keep in mind as you read this that I am not complaining. Seriously. My attitude is pretty positive and I’m feeling upbeat over all.

Now on to the story.

By know you know that I’m a sales rep, and that I love it so much that I’m looking to make a radical career change (with an option to return to sales, just in case). You know that sometimes I struggle to hit my quota and now and then I over achieve and make pretty good money.

I struggled through most of 2007 and spent the bulk of the year on probation. In July I came within a day, literally, of losing my job. (As a side note, I know what literally means and am using it correctly here.) It was 95% my fault too. I started work somewhere around 10 AM, took a 90 minute lunch starting at 11:30 and usually left by 3:00. And I didn’t do much of anything while I was at the office. Since I was planning to leave in April of this year, I pretty much coasted last year. I found out in December that I have to stay another 16 months. Anyway, one of the results of my poor performance last year was a demotion (kinda-sorta) from corporate sales down to what we call general business. There only real changes are a lower quota (half of my old number), smaller customers, different title, and a new manager. My salary, benefits and commission structure are unchanged. Not a whole lot of downside really.

But now the new boss is looking for me to perform. It’s not an unreasonable expectation and I honestly believe he’s interested in my success. Plus, when I’m making money, he’s making money. Everything I sell rolls up to him. I hit my target in November (the first month I worked for him) and missed it in December. It didn’t help that I took 7 days off around Christmas either, but the rule is use the days or lose them. So I used them. Oh, and just before I started my vacation I blew a training presentation in a big way, which pissed him off. Once I finished I figured out that I blew it, so I earned a talking-to.

At any rate, the boss has decided to “aggressively coach me”. He’s set some daily performance goals for me (some are the same for all my peers regardless of performance), asked that he be invited on all my sales calls, and required a daily “What I did today” email every evening detailing who I called along with supporting notes in our customer relationship manager software.

It’s not fun but I am taking it in the spirit in which I believe it was conceived. If I do the things he’s asking I shouldn’t have a problem hitting my numbers. The only real downside is the amount of time it now takes up. I’m working full days again.

Plus 2 days this week I was required to be in the office at 8 sharp (which is barbarically early) for training. Getting The Peanut up, dressed, and over to daycare just added a degree of difficulty.

And now the kicker. School started back up this week. I’d been off since December 17th and had gotten used to being home. Now I have classes on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday from 6 to 9 each day. That was putting me out of the house for over 14 hours, which I am definitely not used to.

And the classes aren’t easy, either. Monday and Wednesday are Anatomy and Physiology II. Lots of detail and memorization. I don’t typically study that way but ask any medical professional and they’ll tell you that’s the only way to deal with A&P. The instructors actually require it. There’s no way to just learn a concept and apply it. The 12 major cranial nerves never change. And from what I have read on ratemyprofessors.com the lady I have teaching isn’t easy.

Tuesdays are Microbiology with a focus on human disease. I don’t think this one will be bad, but again lots of memorization. The instructor for this one is not on ratemyprof, despite having taught for at least 12 years. I am taking that as a good sign. If no one is bitching (or happily raving) then I am hoping it’s because he’s just kind of middle of road and reasonably passable.

Realistically I only need a B- in each class to not have a problem. I’ve carried a 3.4 GPA through 6 years of college now and have only 2 C’s on my transcript (Accounting I and II), so I should really just calm down, do what I have to do and get my A or B. But with all the rest going on at work I’ll admit to being somewhat concerned.

At home things are pretty good. Mona takes good care of The Peanut (certainly better than I would) and keeps things from getting too out of hand. She manages the house and we try and split or share the housework on the weekends. The house is currently ahead of us as a result of the holidays and holiday construction but we should be able to get it tamed this weekend.

Still with all the time away from the house I don’t see her or The Peanut as much as any of us would like.

Taken separately none of this is a big deal. Taken together it’s a little difficult, but not overwhelming. I have enough of a sense of perspective to know that it will end relatively soon, everything will work out, and that there a lot of people out there who would kill to have my problems.

Still, with all time away from hearth and home, I expect The Jorge Experience to suffer a little. At least until I have a schedule of some sort worked out and find a way to cram everything in comfortably. All I have to do now is figure out where to find time to study and I’m all set.

The only reason I have time to do this is because The Peanut is asleep and Mona took herself to the walk-in clinic for a strep test. Everyone here is or has been, to varying degrees, ill for the last several weeks. Again, nothing serious, just inconvenient.

I suppose that I’ll have to give up TV (my chair is already losing my ass-groove) and forget about Netflix, but those are small, small sacrifices.

So anyway, that’s why I’ve not been around much. What’s your schedule look like?

3 comments:

Blonde Goddess said...

Sounds crazy.
My life is always full but I manage to write almost every day. I do it because it's therapy though, not because I feel obligated.
Write when you can.It's your blog.
I'll keep checking back and when you've written something I'll enjoy it as I always do..

Hope things get turned around for you soon.

Kathleen said...

Wow, I wouldn't be blogging either. I have no excuses for not posting more regularly, except that I like lots of comments per post and if I post too quickly, nobody reads my previous posts and they feel neglected. ;-)

I loved Anatomy and Microbiology, but that was in high school. Chemistry was enough to keep me from doing anything related to science as an adult.

I think another reason I couldn't do sales (besides the whole talking people into stuff thing) is that I need a daily regimen. I couldn't work from home (besides, my job doesn't work that way, generally). I have no discipline. I'd be sitting on my couch knitting. ;-)

Jorge said...

BG-

I'm getting into the groove. We'll see how it turns out.

I don't feel the need to write so much as I just like to tell my stories. I just wish I had the gift of brevity. It seems like I can turn a story about a trip to the grocery store into a Russian novel.

And please don't think I'm complaining about the new schedule. Like I said, I know there are people out there who would kill to have my "problems".

I'm feeling pretty good about everything and am generally optimistic.

Kat,

I guess I'll just get used to sleeping a little less.

I much preferred Chem (basic and organic) to A & P and Micro. Chemistry comes pretty easy to me, although I am not a fan of math. In my opinion Chemistry is just like dancing. Certain steps in a certain order. Do them the same way every time and it really doesn't matter what song is being played.

And yes, sales in general and working from home in particular do take some concentration. I am easily distracted. That's why I sit in the kitchen. The TV is in the basement, I'm right by the fridge and a radio. Oddly enough I can't work very well in our office.

That's also why I'm not pissed about being micromanaged. It actually forces some structure on me and I am not by nature a structured person. I'm more of an idea guy. I sit around and think things up. What I really need is some who will follow through with all my good ideas.