Friday, May 30, 2008

The best kind of dilema

It has recently been pointed out (correctly; thank you Kathleen) that school is out and yet my postings here remain infrequent. I know. And I have been meaning to write a post or two, but I’m having some trouble.

I don’t know if it’s writers block (and I’m slightly uncomfortable calling myself a writer) or what. I just don’t have many ideas. I'm not even commenting in places where I usually comment. It's just not coming.

I’ve never been a diarist, and frankly I’m often not self aware enough to realize just what’s going on internally at any given moment.

But I do have a couple of things that sprung to mind. I’ll stick with the first issue and save the other two for later.

I have what I’m reluctant to call a problem or conundrum or puzzle. It’s certainly not an issue. I have an opportunity really. The thing about the opportunity is that it requires I make a choice. And it’s the choosing that I’m having trouble with.

I know the last few times you heard from me I was bitching about my job. I’m still annoyed by it in general, but lately it’s been going well. Most of the headaches are the kinds that are good to have.

As you know from lo these many posts, I’m a sales rep. For as many problems and gripes that I have, one of the many upsides is compensation and rewards and recognition.

We have sales contests from time to time and are rewarded with “sales points” that are over and above our regular commission payouts. They can be cashed in on an internal website for "stuff". There’s lots of stuff to choose from; think Sharper Image and SkyMall meets Home Depot and Best Buy. There’s more, but hopefully you get the idea. You can also get gift certificates to a bunch of places.

These sales points can’t be redeemed for cash. They can’t be invested in any way. You have to blow them on something. They may only be used for “fun.” Two years ago I won some and bought a compound miter saw and a table saw. I also won a pair of iPod Nanos and a few other things.

I’ve won a few contests again recently (and may win a few more) and I’ve got the cash equivalent of about $1400 in sales points to spend. The thing is, I’m torn about how to spend it. Here’s what I’m thinking-

Right now I have a 36” Sony TV. It was a pretty high end TV when I bought it 10 years ago. It’s still working well. But those plasma TVs are pretty cool and I could easily mount one to a wall in my basement. I could get a pretty decent 42” plasma for down there. But again, the big TV works just fine. And we don’t watch much TV in general. 6 to 8 hours a week is about the maximum.

Or I could get a 32” or so plasma for my bedroom and watch movies and whatnot with Mona. But she pointed out that I’m likely to want to watch TV while she wants to go to bed or leave the thing on when I fall asleep. I tend to think she’s right. I’ve also had people say that a bedroom TV is not a good idea just for the basic health of a marriage. I don’t know if that’s true or not, but is it a chance I want to take?

I could also hold on to the points for a while (they never expire) and use them to buy a really nice computer for when I go back to school. I haven’t had my own computer in more than 10 years. My employers furnish them and I use them for business and at home. Mona has a laptop that she bought 3 years ago, spilled orange juice on last year and is not likely to remain viable for much longer. Plus, when I quit next year this machine goes back to the company.

The third choice is to get some gift cards that are basically debit cards to be used for vacations. They can be used for hotel rooms, restaurants, etc. Mona demanded that if she was going to go back to work that I agree to take her on vacation somewhere. These gift cards could take some of the sting out of paying for a week long vacation.

Now something you should know about me. I like to hold on to money. Even this kind of money. I still have the cash my mother gave me for Christmas just before she passed away. I have money from other relatives that just stays in my wallet unspent. I have a $100 bill from an aunt in there that’s been there for at least 8 years.

Although I don’t like to spend I won’t agree that I’m cheap. When I do something I tend to be a spare no expense kind of person. I don’t want to throw around numbers so I’ll just say that when I entertain I prefer to overspend on food and wine rather than underspend. When I buy something I feel I need I tend to beilve the adage “You get what you pay for”. And I am fine paying for quality. It’s committing to do something that’s that problem. Deciding to spend is my personal hurdle.

I’d be very happy to sit on these sales points forever. But I can’t do that for much longer.

So here’s where you come in. Please help me out and answer two questions for me. Which of the three choices above would you take and why? If I gave you $1400 that you had to spend in a Sharper Image and SkyMall meets Home Depot and Best Buy type of place, what would you get?

All suggestions will be considered and all ideas gratefully welcomed.

13 comments:

kristin said...

A lap top. Computer. flat screen tv. jewelry for MOna. :-) a hammock. a power washer. air purifier. a porch swing. DVR. furniture. GPS.

IS there a link to the catalog? Or did I miss that?

Jorge said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jorge said...

This is the comment that was removed from above. The spelling was bad enough that I had to fix it.

KWR-

I don't think I have enough points for all that. :)

If those are your choices in order of preference I'll mark you down in favor of a new laptop, with the TV as your second choice.

Mona is not huge on jewelry. I buy most of her earrings, she likes to make her own necklaces and she only wears her wedding ring. We have hammocks, just nowhere to hang them.

We have a power washer (hand-me-down from my dad, Big Lou), an air purifier, a DVR and I have GPS on my phone.

If I put a swing on the porch we wouldn't be able to use the front door. :) And we have more furniture that we can use at this point.

There is no link to the catalog because a) it would identify my employer (and we can't have that!) and b) its behind the firewall.

But I'm pretty sure that you could get anything on your list from the catalog.

Thanks for the suggestions!

kristin said...

It was general sort of list, not necessarily ranked. But yes, a laptop or computer would top my list.
The gift cards are good, too. Especially for restaurants. :-)

Kathleen said...

Ooh, a hammock!!! I want a hammock! Of course, I live in an apt. bldg. where there are no trees.

Why can't you get the computer now?

If you do go the TV route, I'd be more than happy to help you out with that extraneous 36" you have...considering I have an old 27" TV. ;-)

Jorge said...

Kathleen-

If you really want a hammock let me know. I'd be happy to set a couple of ring bolts in any 2 parallel walls in your apartment that are sufficiently distant from one another. What do you say? Better than nothing?

We both have hammocks. Mona has a traditional kind that I think she bought in Ecuador. I have a jungle hammock from Harry’s Army Surplus that I bought the first day of the blackout back in August of ’03. It has a roof and mosquito net walls. I strung it up where I used to have a clothes line between my house and garage. Then I had other rope going off in several directions (one to the neighbors garage) to hold up the roof. It looked like there was a homeless, demented sailor living in my back yard. Anyway….

The computer I would wait on until I am ready to leave this job so as to get the absolute “latest and greatest” possible. Since work give me a laptop now and Mona’s is still functioning we have enough computing muscle to get by.

As far as the TV goes… If you’re serious I’ll make you a heck of a deal, but you have to haul it away. It weighs about 200 Lbs and is in my basement. The stand is one that was designed for that TV. If you don’t want it we’ll end up putting in on Craig’s List if we do decide to go the TV route.

Kathleen said...

No, I want a hammock OUTSIDE where I can get fresh air and the sun and appreciate the peace and quiet (now that the damned boats are finally gone).

200 lbs? Holy crap...I'm thinking it won't fit in my Focus. ;-)

Jorge said...

Boats? I can't think of anyplace in Dearborn where boats are in issue unless the rver tugs on the Rouge are a problem.

I need to understand this whole boats thing.

Jorge said...

Also, since I'm going into the Nursing program early we think we've decided to buy a big LCD TV to use as a monitor for a new desktop PC.

We're going desktop becuase they're cheaper and Mona's laptop will last a while longer if we really need portable computing.

Anonymous said...

Go for the computer and save more than you think that you need for school. I am also in a post-bac nursing program and it is more expensive and exhausting than i would have imagined. Not to discourage you! It is just that-you know that you are a great idk, salesperson? I was a great biologist. Now I am a great Huh? Stand in the way all of the time student. Can't wait to be proficient, it WILL happen, but carve out a space in your mind where you don't mind feeling like a freaking idiot A LOT. Oh, and it is expensive. Did I say that?
p.s. become an officer in your school's student nurse association! Really, i am not a huge joiner, but found scholarships and funds that are usually v. hard to find. I also went to Texas this year for the NSNA (Nat'l Stu. Nurse Assn.) Convention. WOW. Job offers EVERYWHERE, huge amount of support, tips on posting virtual resume...Good luck!

Anonymous said...

Go for the computer and save more than you think that you need for school. I am also in a post-bac nursing program and it is more expensive and exhausting than i would have imagined. Not to discourage you! It is just that-you know that you are a great idk, salesperson? I was a great biologist. Now I am a great Huh? Stand in the way all of the time student. Can't wait to be proficient, it WILL happen, but carve out a space in your mind where you don't mind feeling like a freaking idiot A LOT. Oh, and it is expensive. Did I say that?
p.s. become an officer in your school's student nurse association! Really, i am not a huge joiner, but found scholarships and funds that are usually v. hard to find. I also went to Texas this year for the NSNA (Nat'l Stu. Nurse Assn.) Convention. WOW. Job offers EVERYWHERE, huge amount of support, tips on posting virtual resume...Good luck!

Anonymous said...

Sorry about the double post!

Kathleen said...

Ah, the boats....I live on Oakwood, as you probably know. Until last year at some point, Fo allowed the Fo Remote Control Boat Club (or whatever the bloody hell it was actually called) run their fucking boats on the lake/pond across from my apt. They ran every single bloody nice day. Monday through Friday starting around 2:00 or 3:00 until dark - and you know how late it stays lights around here these days...and if a nice day happened in January, they'd be there...to say nothing of Saturdays and Sundays when they ran all freaking day. I hated those boats with their high pitched whine. But now they're gone and I'm relatively happy. Next on the list, the BARS!