Friday, May 9, 2008

The Hinge and The Axe

Not to get on my soapbox, but I really believe there's a difference between a professional sales person and a person who is selling something. I actually have a Bachelors in Sales, it says just that on my diploma.

A professional sales person is looking to find a need and demonstrate how his or her product solves a problem for a customer. Sometimes we have to really do some digging to find that need, but they are real when we find them. And we don't always uncover a genuine need. If that reps products or services don't meet a need then he or she says so and everyone parts as friends. Either everyone wins or no one losses.

Someone selling something is in it for themselves and has no regard for his or her customer. He wins, the customer loses and that's just too bad.

While I have a responsibility to my company, I also have a responsibility to my customer. I represent the company’s interest to the customer and the customer’s interests to the company. I am the pin in the hinge. Without me the door and the frame never meet. The door can't do it's job and the frame is just an empty hole in the wall.

The person selling something is like a fire axe. The axe does not pity the door. It is merely a thing to be rid of to get where it's going.

The analogy falls apart at this point, but I'm going to say it anyway. Fire axes make hinge pins look bad.

But you get my point. I'm nothing like Herb Tarlek or the guy you expect to find on a used car lot. No real salesperson is.

No comments: