Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Good news and other news.

First the good news. I’m done with school for the next year. I need to place out of a psych class, but that shouldn’t be a big deal. I got an A- in Anatomy and Physiology II and an A in Microbiology.

Mona was offered a job at my company and will start in about 2 weeks. She’ll be in a different department on another floor, so we won’t really work together as much as we’ll work in the same place.

The Peanut has been healthy and happy and is a crack up in the way I imagine most other kids her age are.

Not long ago I was lamenting that I never see weird stuff. Well, I am now seeing weird stuff pretty regularly. Now my lament is that I don’t have a camera to prove to everyone that I really do see this stuff.

“For example?” you say. Alright. A few weeks ago we were headed to a relatives house to celebrate Orthodox Easter. We made a turn to to get on the freeway and stopped at a light. And there in the crosswalk was a guy in a motorized wheel chair. No that’s not the weird part. There was a guy in an unpowered wheelchair right behind him. Upon closer examination we could see what looked like a tow strap wrapped around the frame of the powered chair and the leg holder parts of the other chair. The second guy was under tow. It was crazy looking.

Last week I saw some kid on a pair of these stilts wearing a bike helmet an picking his way tentatively across my street.

I have got to get a little camera.

Last weekend we took The Peanut to the local petting zoo. They had an “Exotic Animal” day and it was really cool. They had snakes and lizards which we skipped, camel rides, which we skipped because we figured it would freak The Peanut out, lemurs, a sloth , a zebra and a few monkeys. None of the biting type animals were pet-able. But the coolest part were the Kangaroos. I learned that kangaroo fur is really soft, like extra fluffy fleece. I was really surprised. Who knew?

Lastly, I am now very dissatisfied with my job. As you know, I’m a commissioned sales rep. Right now I have 2 deals on the table that could take me to 125% of quota for the month. But we changed a policy on Thursday that let me make deals and offer discounts. As it stands, the offers I made are no longer good. And my bosses boss isn’t looking like he will help me. He’d rather walk away from the sales than do what we need to do. That’s right, it’s better not to sell at all than to violate a poorly constructed policy.

And all I want are some up front dollars. We’ll get our usual revenue from day 1 and it will run for years.

Oh, and if I don’t hit my quota they’ll can me. I have a little wiggle room, but nonetheless, it can and does happen. 3 guys have been let go in the last 2 months for performance.

In my opinion, if it’s not illegal, immoral or unethical then my management needs to do everything in it’s power to help me close deals.

So I’m thinking I need to look for another job. The response I’m getting tells me that the management here is not concerned with my success.

Does anyone know someone who is hiring sales reps? I’ve got experience in dental instruments, software, computer hardware, telecom, transatlantic containerized freight service, and cars.

Let me know.

2 comments:

Kathleen said...

I just could not be a sales guy. I met a sales guy recently...oy vey...he's into a pyramid marketing deal...you want in? ;-)

Will you and Mona drive in to work together to save gas?

Jorge said...

I'm not really into the whole pyramid schemes, but thanks for the suggestion. :)

Mona and I will carpool whenever possible. The Peanut will come along too. In August we plan to move her to a daycare that's close to the office. We'll leave her where she is for now because her age would have her moved into a different class in the new center in a few weeks. We figure why make her go through more than one transition?

Some days it may be necessary for us to drive separately based on my schedule, since I do go off site regularly.

But we should save some dough on gas nonetheless.