Thursday, May 1, 2008

A favorite recipe

Mona decided to have me make dinner last night. I used to do it all the time, but after The Peanut arrived she started cooking because she was at home. After she went to work neither of us cooked and I got fat. I was in school at the same time, so take out or frozen pasta was quick and easy. Now that she's off, she's doing most of the cooking again. And now that school is done, I'll cook some more too.

She asked me for one of her favorites. I like it too, and the best part is it takes about 15 minutes from start to service.

So here's what Mona had me make last night:

Pesto encrusted Tuna steak.

The recipe:

Any number of Tuna steaks

an equal number of TBSP of your favorite Pesto sauce

an equal number of TBSP of Parmesan/Romano/Pecorino cheese (whichever you prefer.)

1 TBSP or so of Extra Virgin Olive Oil

Warm a nonstick pan with a metal handle on a burner set to medium or medium-high.

Turn on broiler on High

Add olive oil and Tuna steak(s). Cook the Tuna on 1 side for about 60 to 90 seconds (for rare tuna). DO NOT touch the fish while it cooks. You're searing it.

Remove pan from the burner, turn over steaks and coat the top of each with pesto, followed by cheese.

Place the pan into the oven on an upper rack. Broil for 90 seconds or until cheese melts and starts to brown (watch closely, it will happen FAST).

Remove from the oven, serve.

I like to have a risotto on the side with some vegetables. Zucchini or Asparagus are favorites.

No comments: