Thursday, November 13, 2008

Got Me Covered

Here are two things you may or may not know about me.

First, I am not a sports fan. I could care less about any college or pro sport. The only football game I watch is the superbowl and then it’s really about the ads. And hanging around with friends who have a lot of food. Oh, I might watch a few minutes of a football or baseball or hockey game from time to time, but that’s really about it.

And I have certainly never planned a day around watching televised sports (with the above exception of the Superbowl).

Second, I am a hat wearer. I love hats. Or pretty much any headwear, really.

I am considering trying to get a job on the medevac helicopter just so I can get the cool helmet.

I even have a rather expensive Stetson Fedora that I wear when I’m dressed up and the weather is bad. And I’m telling you, having a dry mellon and water-free glasses is great.

Now onto the story.

In my last job I traveled extensively and the part that I enjoyed most was working in the dental schools. I covered 26 schools and used to make it a point to buy a School of Dentistry hat from as many of the school stores as I could.

At home I would wear different hats and cycle through some favorites. I have a Harvard hat, Iowa, West Virginia University, University of Louisville, Boston University, University of Kentucky and a few others.

Lately I’ve been wearing the UK hat. I like the way it fits and it’s a jaunty royal blue.

A couple of weeks ago I was at the Kroger formerly known as Farmer Jacks doing my grocery shopping with The Peanut and wearing my UK hat when an elderly gentleman in a suit and car coat walked up, put his hand on my arm and said “school X didn’t have any mercy yesterday, did they?”

My mouth opened and I could feel the blank look on my face as I said “Excuse me?”

“Your hat” he said. “192 Million to 3 in the game yesterday.”

I pulled the hat off, prepared to explain why I was wearing a UK hat. I think he could see that I had a story and wasn’t really a fan. He just wandered off.

I felt really bad. This guy was hoping to find a friend while his wife was checking out the canned goods. And he runs into me, a guy in a hat who could really care less about football. Poor guy.

And every time we passed one another in an aisle I felt bad.

I know that it’s not my fault, nor was it his. But there are times when I feel bad about disappointing perfect strangers.

Why do you suppose that is?

Now hit me with your stories.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

why it is is because it is. you like hats and don't like sports

you wore a hat with a collegiate logo that was noticeable.

like a man wearing a "Titleist" golf cap and when someone mentions, "hey I play those (clubs, shoes, balls, umbrella, et al)"

huh? uh.. oh sorry , I don't play golf

Jorge said...

Yeah, that part I got. I knew the risks when I wore the hat.

It's happened before, like when I was wearing my Harvard Medical hat in Milwaukee. Someone got on my elevator and said Oh, did you go to Harvard? My brother went there."

What I meant was why do I feel bad about disappointing a total stranger.

But it's cool. I know you were having a tough day. I hope today's better.

Kathleen said...

I'm the Old Guy. When living in SF I came across a guy wearing a Red Wings jersey, so I said something. Yeah, he was just wearing it because he thought it was cool. Difference? Hats cost $20, Jerseys $120.

Kathleen said...

If it's snowing or we have an appreciable amount of snow tomorrow I might be bailing on dinner. My e-mail address is kat_m6 at yahoo. E-mail me and I'll pass along the phone #, so that we can back out at the last minute, if need be.