Saturday, November 1, 2008

The Halloween Report

And in keeping with my recent pledge-

We dressed The Peanut up in her little bumblebee outfit last night and I figured we'd go over to 3 or 4 neighbors and that would be all the Trick or Treating she'd stand for. She's not quite 2 1/2 yet.

Man was I wrong. We did the neighbors we're close to and then she wanted to go to more houses. She pulled me along and carried her own little bag. She knocked on doors, held out her little bag and said "Trick or Treat" and said "Thank you and Happy Halloween" every time I reminded her too.

She even walked up to a woman who was herding her own little ghouls and goblins and held out her bag. The lady thought it was funny and gave her a piece of candy.

I was chuckling the whole time.

She walked 2 blocks- both sides of the street. If I hadn't called a halt she would have kept right on going. I was really impressed. She was really into getting stuff. She had no idea what she was getting, but man it was fun! her little bag got so full I had to fill my pockets so she could keep carrying it.

We got back to the house and she knelt down on the front walk and sorted through the candy. She kept taking it out piece by piece and asking "What's this?" Me: "A Kit Kat" Her: What's this?" Me: "A Snickers" and on and on.

Then we put it all back and called it a night.

Our turnout was pretty low, so I still have a ton of candy left. For the last several days I've pretty much only eaten Halloween candy and cheese. I expect it to catch up to me any second now.

I was really surprised at how much I enjoyed taking her trick or treating. Halloween has long been my favorite holiday. I didn't think I could get more out of it, but walking around with my little peanut dressed as a honey bee, holding my finger with her whole hand was one of the best experiences of my life. Really. I can't tell you how much I enjoyed it.

My anti-Halloween is Christmas. I am fully in the Scrooge/Grinch camp. I've always found the holiday stressful and unpleasant. But now that I've seen The Peanut enjoy a Lite holiday like Halloween I'm almost looking forward to watching her get into Christmas. And it's freaking me out a little.

What's happening to me?

2 comments:

Evil Twin's Wife said...

My youngest is about 2.5 and she really dug Halloween this year too. Although, she saw a spooky decoration at one house and the Evil Twin (who had gone out w/ her) said she really wasn't into it much after that episode. Plus, her 10 yr old big brother was a grim reaper and his mask scared her also... in fact, it's been over a week and she's STILL talking about his mask and how it scared her. LOL.

Kathleen said...

LOL! I'm with you on Christmas - too much stress and expectation. My favorite is Thanksgiving, even 20 years after going vege.

I'll bet The Peanut was ADORABLE in her costume!