Thursday, November 20, 2008

Tick Tock

Today was a big day.

I had a mandatory 9 to 4 orientation session at the Nursing school that I’ll be going to beginning January 5th.
There wasn’t a lot to it really. It was a few things about requirements, uniforms, books and schedules along with a fair amount of “It’s going to be really, really hard, so be ready.” We also got a 5 minute tour of the lab.

There are around 40 students in the class and counted 7 or 8 guys. That seems pretty strong to me. At least one was leaving an auto company. Since it took me a year of taking pre-requisite classes with a bunch of other people who were going into nursing to get here I figured I would see some familiar faces. There was one, someone that was in my Organic Chemistry class a year ago, but that was it.
I was surprised to see her because she was set to enter this program last May. Apparently she had some medical issues that pushed her back several months. But I was glad to see someone I knew.

The whole thing wrapped up by 12:30 so I had a lot of time to myself. I went and got my student ID and parking permit and 5 school patches that I have to sew onto my scrubs and lab coat. I’m hoping the student ID will get me into movies cheaper now.

Then I went and bought some scrubs and a lab coat. And I got some new shoes, which Mona thinks look like old man shoes (they’re actually Rockports).

Everything I wear has to be white. No color anywhere. And no shirt under the scrubs. I’m going to look like an extra from M*A*S*H. But what the heck, right?

Taking the day off for school really seems to have gotten into my head. I really feel my time with my current employer coming to an end. I can see myself really starting to coast, and I am going to try and fight it. I want to try to go to the finish line if not strong, then at least under my own power. It’s getting harder. Tomorrow is a work day but I am just not feeling it. And with Thanksgiving next week there’s not going to be a lot to do.

I plan on resigning on December 8th with my last day on the 19th. That means 9 working days before I quit and 19 before I turn in my laptop and ID badge.

I still have some mixed emotions. There’s excitement in starting something new, nervousness about completing the program, mild worry about the effect this will all have at home, and a tiny bit of regret over quitting my job.

I expect it’s all pretty common place, but there it is.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is excellent - nursing sounds really interesting. My husband's cousin is a nurse (and a man, by the way) so I don't think it is uncommon anymore.

Just if you see any women in your training with long nails, remind them of the catheter situation - yikes! Long nail + nursing = pain for patients.

I always hated quitting jobs too, but sometimes you don't have a choice. This sounds like a better bet and nurses are always in demand - gotta love the job security. That is why I am where I am.

Evil Twin's Wife said...

Good luck. I always think I would enjoy the nursing field, then I remember I don't like to touch people and *poof* - there goes that thought.

Jorge said...

Alex- job security is hte biggest motivator for me. I've come too close too many times in sales. And with the economy in Detroit right now I think I'm getting while the getting is good.

ETW- Frankly sick people kind of creep me out. If things go well I'll only do a little bit o that before I move into administration or back into sales, but in medical equipment/devices. My third choice is to work on the MedEvac chopper. Those helmets are soooo cool!

Kathleen said...

Very cool, Jorge! I'm impressed at your return to school.

Kathleen said...

BTW, no eye patch for Mom. I was so looking forward to making pirate jokes at her expense, too.